Monday, September 13, 2010

Day Nine

Something You're Proud Of

I am proud of my persistence. Two years ago I was set up perfectly for this position at my school. I tried hard to not get caught up in it, but when the people selecting keep telling me how great I was and how perfect I fit the job, it was hard not to. I had put in so much time and dedication my freshman year and when I didn't get the next position, I was more than disappointed. I was notified that someone else had been selected while I was at work; I cried so much that they had to send me home.

The thing about me is that I have a lot of passion. So when I had given everything I had and it wasn't enough, it was devastating. I thought about quitting the organization altogether because I was hurt and a little embarrassed. I decided instead that I was going to show them that they had been wrong in not selecting me. I worked even harder than I had the year before- even as just a volunteer.

My work paid off and I was selected as the Director position of the Crimson Nights board. Through that position, I made some of the best friends in life and learned so many things about myself and about the world.

It would have been easier for me to throw myself a pity-party, but I didn't. I made the conscious choice to make the situation better for myself, worked hard and then enjoyed the reward-thoroughly.

I am proud of myself that I didn't let my pride get in the way of something that I really wanted and even with a bruised ego, I picked myself up and earned it all in the end.

Curtis, Erica, Me and Shab
Community Service Board 2007-2008
Position: Associate Director

Me, Erica and Steven
Crimson Nights Board 2008-2009
Position: Volunteer/Board Member

Ashley, Alison, Me and Erin
Crimson Nights Board 2009-2010
Position: Director


Me, Joyce, Jeremy, Kelsey, Andrew, Neena and Alyx
Union Programming Council Directors 2010-2011
Position: Executive Director

No comments: